So you’ve scheduled your very first hypnosis session. Congratulations! The first step is always the hardest and you have conquered it! Chances are, you probably feel a bit relieved and proud of yourself for making it this far – and you should be! But, as time dwindles down to your first session, you may find yourself becoming nervous. This is completely normal; everyone gets anxious before doing something new. But, just as you conquered scheduling your first session, you can conquer these feelings of pre-appointment stress, too. To calm your nerves, here are some things to expect from your first hypnosis session.
Before You Show Up: If you are new to hypnosis, you are probably wondering if there is anything you should do prior to your session. Hypnosis does not require any special preparations, but there are a few simple things you can do to prepare.
1. Fill out forms. To make the most of your session, fill out any forms your hypnotist gave you ahead of time. This will allow more time for your session, as well as less stress before it begins.
2. Wear comfortable clothes. It is important to feel relaxed during your hypnosis session, so be sure to wear clothes you feel comfortable in.
3. Avoid excessive caffeine. Caffeine may make it harder for you to focus, so avoid consuming excessive amounts before your session.
The Procedure: At the beginning of your session, your hypnotist will explain the process of hypnosis to you. He/She will also discuss your hypnosis goals and what you wish to accomplish from your session(s) – whether it be to sleep better, stop smoking, gain confidence, weight loss, etc. Once your goals are reviewed, your hypnotist will begin an induction process that usually includes each of the following elements, describing images that create a sense of relaxation, security, and well-being.
When you are in a receptive state, your hypnotist will then suggest ways for you to achieve your goals, as well as help you visualize vivid and meaningful mental images of yourself accomplishing these goals.
At the end of your session, your hypnotist will bring you out of hypnosis feeling great, and excited for the day ahead.
Results: No matter what the situation is, everyone wants to see instant results. But, it’s important to know that your results will depend upon many factors, including:
- Your readiness to change
- What kind of rapport you have with your hypnotist
- What inductions and techniques are used
- How regularly you do your own self-hypnosis
For more information on hypnosis and the many ways it can help you, click here.
Author: Patience Itson